Orecchiette with Sausage & Greens
Pam loves this meal. So I try to make it on a Friday following an especially tough work week, and when we're not so concerned about carbs & fat.This classic rustic Italian dish is super easy and very comforting.The broth-y, warm pasta with browned sausage is delicious and satisfying.I use spinach or arugula in place of the traditional broccoli rabe, because tearing open a bag of greens and throwing it in is just easier!Its perfect for a quick get-together with warm, crusty bread and white wine.One night when dinner was winding down, Pam pulled the big bowl towards her and finished it off using hunks of Italian bread as a spoon. Rough week!
What you'll need:
- 5 links of Italian sweet sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb orecchiette pasta
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 5oz bag of fresh spinach or arugula
- Chicken broth, low sodium, 1/2 cup
- splash of white wine, delicious
- 1/4 cup of grated parmesan cheese and more for the table.
- Boil pasta according to package directions reserving a cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, brown the sausage.
- Once browned, add chopped garlic and white wine. Lift browned bits from the pan with a wooden spoon. Let alcohol cook out of the wine.
- Add chicken broth, simmer.
- Drain pasta, reserved one cup of pasta water and return pasta to pot. Add spinach on top of pasta. Then, add sausage broth sauce. Stir and cover.
- Let sit covered for 1-2 minutes. Open and stir. The spinach should be softened and mixed into the pasta. Add pasta water gradually to desired saucy-ness.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese.
xo & a pinch,