We're not quite ready to say goodbye to summer...
On the Jersey Shore, this weekend had "Summertime!" written all over it. It was hot, sunny and perfect beach and pool weather. While quietly ignoring the inevitable chill, we're enjoying every last drop of glorious sunshine, so BBQs are very much still happening.
I call this "dirty potato salad" because its my winter "dirty mash" recipe, but unmashed and cooled down for the warmer weather. Both recipes have the same dirty elements; bacon, unpeeled potatoes, cheese and sour cream. Not exactly "paleo" or "clean" but during these last days of summer, isn't it time to embrace (accept) our beach bodies as they are and enjoy some comfort food? I say yes. We'll be wearing sweaters soon anyhow.
Here's what you'll need:
- 10-12 red-skinned potatoes, skin left on, chopped into 1 inch chunks
- 4-5 slices of bacon, crisped and drained on paper towel, chopped. (reserved some for topping)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (reserve some for topping)
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced (reserve some for topping)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- salt & pepper
Here's what you'll do:
1. Boil the potatoes in salted water until fork tender. Drain and let cool completely in large bowl with a wet paper towel draped over it.
2. In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Drain and let cool on paper towel lined plate. Once cooled, chop into 1 inch pieces.
3. Gently fold all ingredients together in the large bowl of cooled potatoes, careful not to break the potatoes. Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle with reserved cheese, scallion and bacon.
German, Dutch, Italian, Deli-style American? Vinegar dressing or mayo? How do you like your potato salad?
xo & a pinch,