The Dream Overholt
Girls have the Cosmo. Boys have this- The Dream Overholt.
interestingly, this drink takes a bit of preparation, care and a very special American Rye ("high maintenance", maybe?) The key? Cardamon seeds & a bit of patience.
This is one of those creative cocktails inspired by a NYC bar plus a little experimentation with our dear friends/loyal tasters, Peter & Delynn. We changed the name and morphed it a bit but it remains an absolute favorite any time of year!
- 1 oz Cardamon Syrup ( see recipe below)
- 1 oz Fresh Lemon juice
- 2 oz Old Overholt Straight Rye Whiskey
- ice cubes, generous (M&P insists on the cubes from the liquor store)
- Lemon wedge for garnish
In a medium sauce pan add;
- 3.5 oz of cardamon seeds
- Smash seeds (with a heavy pan, rolling pin or your preferred smashing tool)
- Add 4 cups water to seeds & simmer for 20-30 minutes
- Add equal parts honey (approximately 4 cups)
- Bring to boil, then simmer for 20-30
- Let cool, refrigerate (make ahead 1-3 days)
- Drain seeds to create syrup
Girls, be careful, this dream is smooth and strong. Boys, carry on.
xo- Measure & Pinch