Could this be prettier? And, perfect for the 4th of July!
Once again, we're mixing fruit and cheese- the ultimate combo that tastes great in any variation... any variation. Apple & Cheddar, Strawberry & Feta, Cherries & Gorgonzola, Pear & Blue Cheese... Tomato & Mozzarella! We have many of these delicious couplings on our weekly menu & on this blog. We dare you to try it... any fruit, any cheese. Try it and report back.
This salad is taken to the next level with blueberries, strawberries and goat cheese. A fantastic mix of flavors and colors- very patriotic. win-win!
This may sound strange, but I have sentimental feelings about this dressing. Its truly my favorite and an ode to my food hero, the wonderful, Ina Garten. There are few staples in my kitchen and one of them is Ina's book collection. This dressing is a version of hers so, if you love it (you will), give a virtual hug to Ina Garten and check our her cookbook collection.
- The mesclun mix in the plastic container, not the bag (it's a portion thing, nothing else)
- 1 pint of blueberries
- 1/2 pint of strawberries ( quartered )
- 5 oz log of goat cheese (wait until the last minute to pull it out of the fridge, you want it cold when you crumble it
- 3.5 oz bag of Pecan Pieces (honey roasted)
- And, of course, 1/2 lb of bacon (optional)
When you put the salad together, the best bet is to layer it (I do two layers) that way it looks nice but, when you mix it you increase the chances of everyone getting a scrumptious bite!)
And, my take on Ina's dressing:
- The juice of one large orange
- One teaspoon of the orange's rind
- (use a microplane or other grater and remember if you see white, you've grated too much!)
- One teaspoon of Dijon Mustard
- One tablespoon of Mrs. Butterworth's syrup
- Kosher salt & pepper to taste
- Olive oil (between 1/4 and 1/2 cup
Mix the first 4 ingredients, then salt & pepper, give it a taste. Now, stir in oil, whisking whisking feverishly. Taste it. If you love it, you're good to go. If you don't, add salt if you still don't love it, squeeze more orange.
Hugs & happy 4th,