Here in New Jersey its frigid. Its 100% winter. Sometimes when its this cold, I like to ignore it. Not completely, I mean shorts & flip flops would be evidence of insanity, but a little mid-week, melt-me fiesta...? extremely sane.
This soup is perfect for my mood right now. Its warm, spicy and creamy with a hint of the sunny, bright tropics. Lime & cilantro will do that. Margaritas will too.
Here's what you'll need:
- 2 13 oz cans of black beans, rinsed
- 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 white onions
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- cilantro, 3 tbsp. chopped
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Lime, juiced
- Hot sauce, 3-4 shakes (we like Outerlimits Jalepeno Lime)
- salt & pepper
- fat free sour cream
- lime slices
Here's what you'll do:
1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, add the olive oil and chopped onion. Cook on medium heat for 5-8 minutes until translucent and slightly browned. Stir often.
2. Add the garlic and all spices including salt & pepper, stir to combine. Add broth, beans and sweet potato. Add water or extra broth to cover, approximately 2 cups. Heat until it reaches a boil.
3. Reduce heat to low and let simmer uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until sweet potatoes are fork tender.
4. If you are using a blender, let the soup cool. Then ladle 3/4 of the soup into the blender in batches. Blend until smooth and reserve in a separate large bowl. Return the blended soup to the remaining unblended soup into the pot and stir. Store or reheat at this point.
5. If you are using a emulsion blender, blend leaving some chunks of potato and whole beans.
6. Once blended to your preference, stir in lime juice. Taste for deliciousness and season with salt & pepper as needed. Ladle into serving bowls and top with lime slices, sour cream and cilantro leaves.
Stay cozy, my friends.
xo & a pinch,