Kelly's big sister, Denise is big supporter and contributor to Measure & Pinch. Today, we get to hear from her directly as she takes the reins on our webpage all the way from sunny Florida!
In Florida, there are always lemons in abundance. These beauties are from a neighbors tree. Rather then letting them fall to the ground and go to waste, she brings them to me! This recipe takes 30 days, so if you are looking to have it today, it's not going to happen! Trust me, I am not a patient women but this is worth the wait.
This recipe makes a double batch. If you wish, you can easily cut in half.
What you will need:
- 2 1.75 liter bottles of mid range to cheap vodka (don't use the good stuff, no need)
- 15-20 lemons (if they are small, use 20)
- simple syrup (2 cups of water, 2 cups of sugar that has been boiled and cooled)
What you will do:
1. Peel all the lemons. Be sure to leave as much as the pith as you can (white part of peel). The more pith, the more bitter it will be.
2. Put all the peels in a container large enough to hold the vodka with the peels. The container you use should not be transparent, and it must have a lid.
3. Pour vodka over lemon peels, seal up the container and place in a cool dark space.
4. Wait 30 days... patiently...
5. Finally, after 30 days, strain and then add simple syrup.
6. Put in pretty bottles and either store in fridge or freezer (I love the freezer - it will freeze but it will be a terrific temperature!
xo & a squeeze,
At Measure & Pinch, we believe that we are all stars in our own kitchens! We celebrate our Guest Home Chefs by taking a page out of James Lipton's book and do a little "Inside the Actor's Studio"- inspired interview. We leave out the question about the favorite curse word though. We try to keep it clean!
Here is Denise's interview:
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE FOOD? potato chips and onion dip
WHAT IS YOUR LEAST FAVORITE FOOD? Liver
WHAT TURNS YOU ON? I love to sit outside with a beautiful glass of wine. This is my happy place.
WHAT TURNS YOU OFF? A dirty house/bathroom and especially a dirty port-a-potty!
WHAT INSPIRES YOU TO COOK? I don't like to cook every day meals. I like to cook big meals and have family over. I also cook one day month but freeze a lot of it so when I come home from work, nothing to cook- just heat up & eat!
WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DRINK? a fresh squeezed margarita.
WHAT PROFESSION OTHER THAN YOUR OWN WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO? I would love to be a "Orange County Housewife" they are always eating and drinking on the show.
IF HEAVEN EXISTS, WHAT DO YOU WISH TO HEAR GOD SAY TO YOU WHEN YOU ARRIVE AT THE PEARLY GATES? We've been waiting for you, here's your Mom and Dad.
THANK YOU DENISE!
We are looking forward to hearing from Denise again soon!