Rainbow Slaw- 2 PP per 1 cup serving.
I am not always on a diet, but when I am, I'm on Weight Watchers.
After having my kids, I needed to do something to get myself back in shape. Being eternally gluttonous, but also pretty active, I'd never really been on a diet -diet. In the past, I'd skip the third slice of pizza or put in some extra time at the gym if I felt squeezed in my jeans. Now, being 40+, having two kids and a very full-time, sedentary job, my old plans were.. in a word, hilarious.
So, I went hard-core... well, not exactly. I joined Weight Watchers on-line and (cue the angel music... aaaaaahhh) my world changed. I lost 30 lbs in about 4 months. I was back into my pre-baby jeans and feeling great. I've kept it off with a few slips here and there (wine weight). The wonderful lesson from WW is that you know what you need to do to get back on "track" (see what I did there?)
My husband and I are taking a long-awaited, very necessary, island vacation this spring. We planned it months in advance so that we can have time to dream about it (and get beach-ready). Of course, I'm relying on my old friend, Weight Watchers to get me there and I'm tracking my points as we speak.
Today I'm sharing a great recipe from Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook. Its a slaw with lots of color and extra flavors. I love to make a big batch and munch on it all week. It goes with almost everything. I love the WW cookbook for its ideas, options and points value per serving, but I tweek everything like crazy. I'm a tweeker, what can I say?
Heres what you'll need:
- 3 tbsp. reduced fat mayonnaise (I like Hellmann's Low Fat)
- 3 tbsp. light sour cream
- 3 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3 cups sliced red cabbage
- 3 cups sliced green cabbage
- 3 large carrots, spiralized (or grated)
- 1 large red pepper, chopped into sticks
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh dill
- 1 lemon, juice and finely grated rind
For the dressing:
1. In a large bowl, whisk mayonnaise, sour cream, vinegar, lemon rind and juice, salt and pepper until combined.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and toss until evenly coated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving. You can also make this a day ahead and keep overnight. Let stand for 20-30 minutes and toss again before serving. Add additional dill sprigs to garnish, if you wish.
How do you get yourself "beach ready?"
xo & a pinch