This recipe is inspired (copied) from my father-in-law. While preparing for a family party at my in-laws, I offered Mom my hand with cooking. She asked me to prepare Dad's Corn Salad and I was really happy to do it. I've always loved it and was curious about the makings. To make the salad, I was given a "recipe" that simply said:
1 bag of corn
1 can of beans
1 Red Onion
Clearly, my father-in law is a "pinch!" I threw it all of the ingredients together, then Dad added his magic touch and it was delicious, as always. When I got home, I couldn't wait to try it on my own. I made a few changes. I left the peas and jalepeno out because I'm feeding picky little boys and I used roasted corn (confession: I used left-over roasted corn). I also tossed the salad with an agave lime dressing to give it my own spin. Dad would approve!
Heres what you'll need:
- 8 ears of corn, roasted or boiled, cooled (or a big bag of frozen kernels, defrosted)
- 1 can (15 -19 oz) can of beans (red or black beans) rinsed
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1-2 baby red and orange peppers, sliced (or a red pepper sliced)
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped
- Cilantro, a bunch, chopped
Cut the corn from the ears. You should have 3-4 cups of kernels.
In a large bowl, combine corn kernels, beans, chopped onion, sliced peppers, tomato and cilantro.
For the dressing:
- 1 lime, juice and zest (plus more limes for garnish)
- 1 tbsp. agave nectar
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped plus more for garnish
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
Toss all ingredients together and garnish with lime and cilantro.
xo & a pinch,