Like most humans that walk that earth and eat, I LOVE pizza. I love all pizza. I love pizza with mushrooms, pepperoni, peppers, sausage, arugula, pineapple, meatball, lobster- anything. I love a white pie, a dessert pie, a clam pie. You get the picture. Unfortunately, pizza = carbs.
So, when those pizza cravings come (daily), I love these little bites. They're easy, versatile, pizza-y and carb-free. I know, sauce and cheese on a mushroom, does not a pizza make. But with your favorite toppings, these may hold you over until the delivery guy arrives.
Heres what you'll need for this "non-recipe" recipe:
- 8-10 mushrooms, cleaned, stems discarded
- olive oil, 1 tbsp
- garlic salt, about 1/4 tsp
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- basil, torn for garnish
- red pepper flakes
- dried oregano
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. On a sheet pan, covered with parchment paper (or not) place mushrooms in pile. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle garlic salt and toss. Arrange on the pan, mushroom ribs facing up. Bake in the oven for 5-8 minutes.
3. Remove from the oven and carefully pat mushrooms dry with a paper towel. Add a teaspoon of sauce to each mushroom and top with cheese. Bake again for another 5-8 minutes. Turn the oven on broil for the last 3 minutes to brown the cheese.
4. Remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Top with red pepper flakes, dried oregano and torn basil, if you'd like.
xo & a pinch,