Pam's favorite Italian meal is eggplant parmesan. So, this quick & healthy version has her in eggplant heaven! One night, Pam was flying home from God-knows-where on a business trip. We did our quick usual check-in texts covering her ETA (12AM), random food thoughts (weekend eating plans) and what I was eating for dinner (this eggplant). Long story short, at about 1:00 in the morning, Pam crept up onto my porch to collect a Tupperware of this delicious mess for a very late-night dinner!
Make this when you want something quick, easy, light, vegetarian and Italian, or when your travel-weary best girl needs a healthy dinner after a long flight.
Heres what you'll need:
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- olive oil, about 2 tbsp
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 28 oz can of chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella
- parmesan, grated for topping
- fresh basil, 5-6 leaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, add a generous swirl of olive oil. Add cubed eggplant. Season with salt & pepper. Let cook for 8-10 minutes until slightly softened and browned a bit.
2. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, tomatoes and season again with salt & pepper. Let simmer for 10-12 minutes until eggplant is soft and tomatoes are cooked.
3. Using a teaspoon, dollop ricotta around the pan, swirling slightly into the sauce. (don't completely stir it in). Sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top and put skillet into the oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes until cheese is melted.
4. Let cook for 2-3 minutes. Top with torn basil leaves and grated parmesan.
(5. pack into a Tupperware and place in a secret, yet obvious place on your porch and go to bed, hoping for cool weather and exclusively carnivorous neighborhood wildlife!)
xo & a pinch,