I'm not a roses and diamonds kind of valentine (but.. ok, if you must). I like a quiet, simple, cozy valentine celebration. I think having the most romantic holiday in the dead of winter was predestined by Cupid and meant to be spent supremely cozy. To me, cozy means breakfast in bed. And yes, breakfast can be cake- what do you think a muffin is?! Also, its valentine's day. Time to splurge & be sweet!
This one is half-homemade and so easy, even your kitchen-phobic husband can do it! (share blog post now)
** Cheers and gratitude to my sister, Denise. This is another great one from her recipe archives. She used to bring this to family gatherings and the adults would share it with coffee. So sweet!
Here's what you'll need:
- 1 box yellow cake mix
- 2 sticks of butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup of sugar
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 tbsp. cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
Here's what you'll do:
1. Bake cake mix according to package directions in a 10x14 pan. (You can get an aluminum pan from the grocery store). Bake 25 minutes.
2. Prepare the crumbs: In a large bowl combine butter, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg with your hands. Pinch ingredients together until you get a pebbly- like texture.
3. Top cake with crumb mixture and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
4. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Don't forget to brew a pot of coffee!
Have a sweet day
xo & a pinch