My sweet young friend is about to get married. How exciting! My husband and I are about to celebrate 10 years of marriage. So, most of our friends are in their mid-40s and we haven't been to a wedding in years! The thought of a fresh couple uniting is the sweetest thing to me and I just love it when the bride-to-be asks me for advice... any advice at all! I'm happy to offer suggestions about even the most mundane things. We love to talk about food and from time and she'll ask me for a recipe. This is one of them. Any little offering towards a happy, healthy (& well fed) home; I'm happy to help! I guess its the little sister in me, always dreaming of big sister status.
Our bride-to-be Samantha joined me and Pam to our little local town Chili Cook-Off. The winner was a green chicken chili. It was really delicious. Sam asked me to put together a recipe similar to the winner.... like, ok...(?) Anyway, its taken me awhile to get it, but here is my slow-cooker, very easy version:
The ingredients are simple. With the exception of the tomatillos, you may have most of these things in your kitchen:
- 6-8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 6-8 tomatillos, husked and roughly chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 7 oz cans of mild diced green chilis*
- 2 15.5 oz cans of cannellini beans
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- juice of a lime
*we've roasted hatch chilis in other chili recipes, but wanted this one to be as simple as opening a can... easy enough to prep in the morning before work.
Here's what you'll do:
1. Toss all of the ingredients in your slow cooker, stir it up a bit.
2. Set the slow cooker on low for 8 hours, or high for 6 hours.
3. When you're ready to eat, use a fork to pull the chicken apart into shreds. Add more salt & pepper to your preference.
4. Garnish with cilantro and lime (optional)
xo & a pinch,