Its a that wonderful time of year when gardens are bursting with delicious things! Total summer abundance! .. well, not in my yard. One of my dreams is to have a gorgeous, healthy garden in my backyard. Right now, I have only a couple of struggling herbs. I blame it all on the squirrels.
Until my garden dreams come true, I enjoy the farmer's markets and the generosity of my green-thumbed friends! Here I used a bunch of local veggies and some chicken sausage to create a chunky "sauce" to put over spaghetti squash. It makes a great, easy, healthy dinner. It would be more delicious over regular spaghetti, but I also have bikini dreams... I blame it all on ice cream.
- 6 chicken sausages, casings removed (we love Premio)
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- garlic, 2 cloves, chopped
- 2 small or 1 large spaghetti squash
- parmesan cheese, grated 1/4 cup, plus more for garnish
- olive oil, 2 tsp
- butter, 1 tsp
- salt & pepper
- red pepper flakes, a pinch
- parsley, for garnish
- chicken stock or white wine, a splash
For the spaghetti squash:
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. CAREFULLY cut the squash in half. Spaghetti squash are really hard and round. They are not easy to cut. PLEASE do so with caution. Scoop out the seeds.
3. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place the squash, cut side down onto the sheet and bake for 30-45 minutes.
4. To test for doneness, poke the squash rind. If there is "give" its done. Let cool.
5. With a fork, scrape the inside flesh from the squash. It will release as threads (resembling our long-lost friend, spaghetti.)
For the sauce:
1. In a large skillet over medium heat, swirl olive oil. Add the sausage, casing removed. Cook 5-8 minutes or until browned. Remove from the skillet and reserve.
2. To the same skillet, add all vegetables. Season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
3. Add the sausage back to the vegetables, toss with splash of wine or stock and butter. Stir in parmesan cheese. Taste to adjust seasoning.
To serve, spread spaghetti squash shreds in a shallow bowl. Season lightly with salt & pepper. Top with sausage and vegetable sauce. Garnish with extra grated parmesan and parsley.
xo & a pinch,