Pepperoni Red Pepper Penne. Say it three times fast!
My boys love pepperoni and red peppers are one of their few "permissible" vegetables. This recipe wasn't created, rather born from necessity. Weeknight, after work, tired, hungry kids- Done!
They ask for it all the time. Even on easy Sundays.
- 1 lb penne
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, sliced into half moons
- 1 red pepper, cut into strips
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- grated parmesan, for topping
- basil, for garnish
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Boil pasta in salted water, to al dente (7-8 minutes)
3. Meantime, over medium-high heat, swirl olive oil. Saute red pepper strips until tender. Add pepperoni slices and heat through for about 5-8 minutes.
4. Drain pasta, reserving about 1 cup of pasta water. Return pasta to the pot. Add pepper -pepperoni mixture including all juices and that yummy orange oil! Season with salt & pepper. Add about half of the pasta water to create sauciness. Add half of the shredded cheese. Combine all ingredients. Taste and adjust salt & pepper as you wish. Top with remaining shredded cheese.
5. Pour pasta into the skillet and heat in the oven for 5-8 minutes. Change the oven over to broil to crisp the top a bit.
6. Top with torn basil, grated parmesan and serve.
7. Watch your children pull the basil off and try to feed it to the dog, but then enjoy!
xo & a pinch,